9 Easy Ways to Go Green April 22 2018, 0 Comments
Earth Day is a day close to our hearts at 3RD ROCK. Not only are we committed to transparency, but as a company one of our goals is to encourage the preservation of the earth. We've put together these simple 9 easy tips to be more green this Earth Day to help us all make small changes, to make a big difference.
“If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito.”
1. PICK AND PACK.Pack a bin bag for every trip you make. When you pick up your own, try picking up some of the other litter left around you too. If we all picked up a couple of pieces each time we went out, our well loved areas would stay clean and beautiful!
2. PLANT A TREE.A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year and 1 ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old. Plus, they’re excellent for landscaping.
3. RESPECT THE ROCK.Help organisations like the BMC and Access Fund take care of our climbing areas and promote minimising your chalk use and gently brushing it off before you leave. Leave your climbing areas how you would wish to find them.
Photo by Anotherlunch.com
4. TRY A PACKAGING-FREE LUNCH.Heading out for a long day out? Lunch waste is often overlooked and causes crag litter. Try a reusable lunch box instead of a plastic bag. Instead of buying bottled water, bring your own in a reusable water bottle. Need a napkin? Use a fabric napkin that can be cleaned and reused on your next adventure!
5. TRAVEL IN TEAMS.Heading out into the wilderness? Minimise car use by organising car sharing if you are travelling from similar areas. It will save you all some money and give you even more time to hang out with your friends.
6. WASH LESS, WEAR MORE.Throw those jeans back into your drawers and folder up your favourite yoga pants for a few more sessions before a wash. Washing clothes at 30C or lower and save 40% energy. Many modern washing powders and detergents are designed to clean clothes effectively even at lower temperatures.
7. BRING YOUR OWN BAG.Going shopping? Take your own bags with you. Reusable bags allow you to customise your shopping experience, save money, and do away with single use bags piling under the kitchen sink.
8. STICK TO THE PATH.Whether you are approaching the crag or hiking through the hills, sticking to designated paths will help look after the local wildlife and reduce erosion. Have you seen the BMC Mend Our Mountains campaign? It will help keep access issues to a minimum so we can all continue to enjoy our favourite adventures.
9. REPAIR AND REWEAR.Save money as well as the planet. Learn to repair items instead of replacing them right away. Expand your horizons with new skills, like stitching up that hole in your sock or dying your white wash jeans black for winter.
Thanks for celebrating Earth Day with us. Want to find out 'How GREEN You Are?' check out our QUIZ here.